Custom Search

... ...

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Who Won But Shouldn't Have

From: Premiere.Com http://www.premiere.com/Feature/7-Unworthy-Best-Picture-Winners

Dances with Wolves vs. Goodfellas (1990)

Who Won: Dances with Wolves
Who Should Have Won: Goodfellas

Forrest Gump vs. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Who Won:Forrest Gump
Who Should Have Won: The Shawshank Redemption

The English Patient vs. Fargo (1996)

Who Won: The English Patient
Who Should Have Won: Fargo

Shakespeare in Love vs. Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Who Won: Shakespeare in Love
Who Should Have Won: Saving Private Ryan

American Beauty vs. The Sixth Sense (1999)

Who Won: American Beauty
Who Should Have Won: The Sixth Sense

A Beautiful Mind vs. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Who Won: A Beautiful Mind
Who Should Have Won: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Chicago vs. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)

Who Won: Chicago
Who Should Have Won: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

5 comments:

  1. And if for some reason that miserable Slumdog Millionaire wins, you can add that to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps one should watch all the nominated movies prior to judgment passing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see no reason to waste any of my time watching the films. The descriptions/reviews gave me quite enough info as to what to expect.

    Can you not say the same? As you browse for Netflix DVDs, aren't there some that you summarily dismiss just based on the description?

    And that's that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fun. Yes, opinions are like assholes - everyone has one. I checked the films you showed and most of the films that won were directed to a wider audience than the ones you wanted to win. I saw The Sixth Sense probably 3 times in the theatre and bought the DVD. I finally saw Saving Private Ryan and while very good, very gory and not repeatable in my mind. Chicago was terrific but not Best Picture, so I agree there - and maybe elsewhere. Now, I would like Slumdog to win and will buy the DVD when it comes out. However, I think The Wrestler will win - no, I've not seen it but Mick's on a role. And speaking of role: Richard Jenkins did a fabulous job in The Visitor. And that may not be that, but it's this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I agree with all the should-have-won EXCEPT The Sixth Sense. As for Saving Private Ryan, as you know, I like gore.

    There is a list out that "supposedly" reveals the winners for this year, and you will be glad to know that Slumcrap wins best picture, but "they" say that the list is not real. I've only seen it in PDF format, but will look for it textually.

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to click on the Home button to see possibly newer posts.