Custom Search

... ...

Monday, March 16, 2009

Help to Identify This


When I first saw this at the salad bar of the supermarket, I though that it was mozzarella and tomatoes. Well, it wasn't. They were hot red peppers and some strange white things with a sort of meaty texture to them. I love it.

Today I went back to the supermarket for more and read the label. It said that they are Kalamata olives. The only problem is when I looked it up on the web. Kalamata olives are supposedly the color of eggplant and have seeds according to one site. The ones I have are definitely unseeded. In fact, I can't even see where a seed might go, or have been extracted from.

The person who comes up with the right answer wins a virtual Esoteric Edam tee-shirt.

6 comments:

  1. OK, culinary experts. It's all yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Central Market has the red peppers on their condiment bar. I've filled them with a corn thingy [technical term]. The white balls, if not mozzarella, I don't know. Meaty could be a type of mushroom. Did they have a taste other than what they were soaked in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. Forgot! Definitely not kalamata olives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you gave me an excuse to eat another one. It's hard to tell if they have a flavor because they are in a kind of vinegary mix with the red pepper juice. They soaked up the hotness. On closer examination there seems to be a spot on the top where it was once attached to a branch or something.

    The supermarket must have mislabeled it. This is going to bug me now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOLVED! I believe that this is it:

    http://www.khiewchanta.com/archives/ingredients/thai-vegetables/small-white-aubergine-egg-plan.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! Give yourself a virtual t-shirt! It sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to click on the Home button to see possibly newer posts.