Custom Search

... ...

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Best OTC Sleeping Pills

Well, I did some research on RestAid, but unfortunately, the only websites that I found reviewing it were those that also tried to sell it to you, so all of the reviews were glowing, as would be expected. The "placebo effect" also comes to mind. The actual amounts of the ingredients are also disturbingly not to be found. The other OTC medications that I found online were also extremely expensive and of dubious value.

I found this post on Google Groups:

Restaid is sold by a dietary supplement company that also tries to sell you "male enhancement" pills and a "fat burning slimming cream". Yeah, sounds real reputable. And at 50 bucks a bottle for those, there's no WAY I'd take the chance.

Melatonin

The bulk of dosage information and its effectiveness that we have comes from organizations who have conducted private studies and have administered this pineal supplement to patients over a period of time. Based on factors like weight, these organizations advocate starting with a light dosage of about 1.5 mg. From that dosage, gradual increases to a larger mg (perhaps even 3.0 mg) have been found effective against sleep disorders (effective in causing drowsiness, that is) like insomnia and anxiety without noticeable side effects.

Some sleep disorder and insomnia patients have reported a few discomforts from taking what's suspected to be too much of the sleep aid. A higher than required amount of melatonin *may* cause weak cases of depression, low sex drive, fatigue, headaches, or

Valerian Root

Valerian root (valeriana officinalis) is derived from a plant native to Europe and Asia. The root of this plant has been used for thousands of years as a remedy for various ailments including sleep problems, digestive problems, disorders of the nervous system, headaches, and arthritis. It is believed that valerian root has an impact on the availability of the neurotransmitter GABA in the brain.

Despite the use of valerian root for a variety of problems, little research has been done to support the effectiveness of the herb. Use of valerian root as a sleep aid is supported by some evidence from clinical trials, however these studies tend to be small and not rigorously conducted. On the whole, research suggests that valerian root has mild sedative and tranquilizing properties - less than prescription sleep medication.

I've also heard that having a lettuce sandwich helps. "Eat a sandwich, thickly filled with lettuce, about half an hour before going to bed. You should sleep like a log."

I've only tried melatonin myself, and with varying results, but that may be because of the improper dosage.

As always, your mileage may vary.


4 comments:

  1. Grazi. I will let you know [hopefully] dosage amounts when I get the month that I ordered. I've tried so doggone many things - I just want something to work. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, let me know if you end up with a large penis and real skinny. I may consider it then myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm. A large penis. And me skinny. Sounds absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to click on the Home button to see possibly newer posts.