Custom Search

... ...

Saturday, May 30, 2009

How to Make Unbeatable Guacamole

by jamie430 - Hubpages.com

I want to share my recipe for what I truly believe to be the best guacamole I’ve ever had. Of course, I have been making it for about 10 years, so I’m a little biased. Still, I have not only seen my friends’ faces after dipping into this magical bowl, but I have converted too many avocado naysayers to count. Now you’re gonna want to bear with me because most of my ingredients call for non-measurements…a true guacamole expert must learn to add a squeeze of lemon or dash of salt when needed.

Step 1.

Go to your favorite grocery store (or market if available!) and pick out a few ripe Hass Avocados. I’ll write this recipe as if you’re using 2 large avocados, but you can seriously make as much as you need depending on the number of guests. If you don’t know how to pick out a ripe avocado, you want to make sure the rind is almost black, but you don’t want it to be too mushy. Yes, the avocado will be soft, but it still needs to have a firmness to it, otherwise the consistency will be way too creamy! Now, you want to peel the avocado (just cut it in half and use a spoon to scrape out the delicious interior…but make sure you don’t get any of the pit when you’re cutting!) and “mash” the contents in a bowl. I suggest using a fork; then you will still have chunks in your final product.

Step 2.

The next most important ingredient to any delicious guacamole is definitely onion. Use a yellow onion because they’re way more flavorful, and they compliment avocados really well. For the onions, you’re really going to want to use your judgment for how much to use. I generally use, with 2 large avocados, about ¼ of a large onion, and probably even more. The most important thing, though, is to grate the onion right into the bowl of avocados rather than dice it. This way, the onion juice will not get lost on the cutting board or in a separate bowl. You want the onion flavor to really coat the avocados, and grating it will give you the most delicious results.

Step 3.

The best asset of this guacamole is its freshness. So, we don’t want to put too much else into it, but we still need a few spices. Salt is the most necessary addition because salt extracts the most ideal flavor in avocados. You really want to salt to taste, and you might even want to save salting for the end. Keep in mind what chips you’ll be eating with the dip. For example, if you’re using restaurant style tortilla chips, you’ll probably want to add a bit more salt than if you’re using Tostitos (because those have gotten SUPER salty these days).

Step 4.

The next imperative spice to my guacamole is chili powder. You can either sprinkle a little on top, or you can, if you’re like me, cover the top of the guacamole with a thin layer and then mix it in. Chili powder will add a little zing to your dip, and it truly makes a big difference!

Step 5.

Now, one of the things I’ve heard my friends say they dislike about avocados and guacamole is its tendency to turn brown after being exposed to oxygen. This happens to avocados when the pit is removed, but have no fear. Lemon juice not only adds a chemical component to keep the guac more green, but its flavor is a great addition (you can also use lime, but I think lemon gives a better taste). I prefer to use fresh lemons, and I usually just cut one in half and then squeeze as much of that half into the bowl as I can. Also, keep in mind that you can always stir your guac to make it stay green…only the top layer will brown.

Step 6.

You might already be done with your guacamole at this point, and completely ready to serve it to your friends, but there are still a few more things you can do to mix it up. If you want to add more substance and are a huge tomato fan, definitely don’t hesitate to dice up a tomato and toss it in there. Another option, which I used to live by, is, surprisingly, mayonnaise. If you take a large spoonful of mayo and spread it over the top of your guacamole (very thin layer!), you can refrigerate over night before serving. The mayo traps in some of the flavors, and once you mix it all together, you get a delicious final product! However, if you’re in more of a refreshing mood (especially during seasons like spring and summer), I would leave the mayo out!

Like I said, I’ve made this guacamole since I was 12 years old, and I’ve never seen a bite go uneaten. Hopefully you’re the kind of chef who enjoys adding ingredients by taste rather than measuring cups! Try making this dip for a group of friends, and I swear you’ll never bring anything else to a football tailgate or a night watching Grey’s Anatomy--because your friends won’t let you.

2 comments:

  1. Argh! I want some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No chili powder! No mayo! I add a bit of garlic - just a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Don't forget to click on the Home button to see possibly newer posts.